Tomato Soup

Here is the Tomato Soup recipe I used for the large group last week. I multiplied the recipe to accommodate the numbers.

3 T butter (I prefer organic, unsalted)
1 large white onion, sliced
2 large carrots, shredded
4 cups tomatoes, fresh, peeled, seeded coarsely chopped or whole canned tomatoes work too
1/2 cup packed fresh basil or 1/8 cup dried basil ( I love basil, so I probably use a little more than this)
1 t salt
3/4 t sugar
dash pepper
2 cups chicken stock

Melt the butter in large pot over low heat. Add onions and carrots and saute until just slightly cooked.
Stir in tomatoes and spices.
Bring to boil. Simmer for 20 minutes. At this point, you can stop the cooking and refrigerate if you are prepping for a later meal.
When ready to serve, puree tomato mixture with food processor. If your tomatoes and onions are not overcooked, you'll have some texture to the mixture. Add stock. Heat until steaming.
I like to top with a few crunchy croutons if I have them handy.
If you like your soup more creamy, you can alway add a little heavy cream for body.
Adjust your salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 4 for main dish with side salad or 6 as a side or appetizer.
Easy and delicious!

Comments

Popular Posts