A little update on the old classic 7 layer salad

Remember those church potlucks? One of my all time favorites was the classic 7 layer salad.
The original recipe calls for head lettuce which I reserve for wedge salad only. And, I've added a couple of other things that make it just a little tastier to me. Also, as usual, I choose all organic ingredients.

1 head butter lettuce, backs cut out and thinly sliced
2 ribs celery, diced
1 yellow pepper, diced
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 small red onion, about 1/4 cup chopped
1 package frozen peas, don't cook!
8 slices bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
1+ cup mayo
1/4 ranch or blue cheese dressing depending on what you like best
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Blend the mayo and ranch or blue cheese together. Set aside. Layer everything in order with the shredded cheese on top. I love to do this in a glass bowl so it shows off the layers. Let it set for an hour or so before serving. If you cover it with an airtight lid, it can stay in the fridge for a couple of days.

Comments

Popular Posts