Saturday I was craving something extra-ordinary. Something like Justus Drugstore quality. And, knowing we didn't have reservations, it was up to me to cook something up. Fortunately I had just been to the store and the garden is starting to produce so I had a variety of things to choose from. I let my imagination go and jumped in. I'm delighted to say, for my taste buds, I don't think I could have gotten a better meal if I had gone to a restaurant!

If you try it, let me know!

Salmon filets with jalapeño and beet greens cheese sauce

4 small to medium jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced
2 Tbs butter
1 cup mexican white cheese, shredded finely
fresh bunch beet greens, cleaned and stems trimmed
2 salmon filets

Clean, seed and slice your jalapeños. Melt butter in cast iron skillet, add jalapeños and sauté lightly until soft. About 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and mix the sautéed jalapeños with shredded cheese. It will melt a little with the hot peppers. Set aside. (I chose the mexican white cheese as it is very mild and creamy. You could probably use a jack cheese of sorts though may need to add some cream to thin it)

In the same skillet, place your salmon filets skin down and cover with beet greens. If your skillet seems dry, add a little more butter or olive oil. Cook over medium heat, uncovered for 5 - 10 minutes depending on how thick your filets are and how rare you like it.
I watch mine to see that it's cooked about halfway through, then at the last, I flip it to sear the skinless side. Do not overcook.

Remove the filets from the skillet and plate.
Add the jalapeños and cheese to the skillet with the beet greens. Mix until melted and creamy.
Divide your sauce and spoon to top your salmon filets.

I served with fresh cooked beets, tomatoes and cilantro salad with a side of avocado puree and tortilla chips.
Beautiful, healthy and absolutely delicious!

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts