Cheese dips that dazzle

Dips are always in demand. Whether it's a simple appetizer with veggies, or something more substantial to put on rice cakes or a bagel for breakfast or lunch, I have two dips that serve in a variety of ways and are always crowd pleasers.
The first one is just a simple vegetable dip that I've adapted to my taste. I use it for veggies, toast points, and crackers. AND, it also is a wonderful topping to baked fish, twice baked potatoes and stirred into mashed potatoes. This is NOT low fat, so use sparingly. Definitely don't skimp on the quality of your ingredients.
Another fun tip when doing veggie trays is mix up your veggies on the platter. You know how you always see everything separated in their own little broccoli, cauliflower, pepper compartment?
Not me. I mix them all up and then arrange them on the platter. I'll post a picture next time I do it.

Basic Veggie Dip

1 pint mayo
12 oz sour cream
8 oz shredded mozzarella
1/2 cup grated parmesan
2 T fresh chopped dill
1 T fresh lemon juice
1t garlic powder
1 t paprika
dash tabasco or other hot sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Blend together and let set in the fridge for at least a few hours before serving. This will store for several days easily. Keep chilled until serving.


This second dip is still a work in progress. My brother first introduced me to this dip from Whole Foods - it's a gouda cheese dip they sell in the prepared food section. He got me hooked by putting a scoop inside a toasted pocket bread with a little breakfast sausage for a morning protein snack. We expanded our uses and have served it as a side on breakfast buffets for bagels, rice cakes, toasted breads. It works as a veggie dip, baked on chicken breasts and melted on just about anything you want cheesy.
We've wrestled with our exact quantities, so it's something you can experiment with. And, we change up the cheeses and extras to throw in to add variety.
I love it spicy so I use a spicy cheese for at least one of the cheeses.
If you try it, let me know if you find any variations that work for you!

Spicy Gouda Cheese dip


Equal amounts of three cheeses coarsely shredded: (usually about 8 oz each)
Smoked gouda,sharp cheddar, monterey jack w/ peppers
OR
Chipotle gouda, sharp cheddar and jack

1 T minced garlic
2 T chopped red onion,
1 T fresh dill
Small jar chopped pimentos
Optional- small can diced hatch green chilies. If they are in season, they can be roasted and then chopped. 1 - 2 chiles will equal a small can.
3/4 cup Mayo
Canola oil to mix to your preferred consistency
Salt and Pepper

I like this dip chunky and my cheese coarsely shredded. If you preferred it smoother, just blend in your food processor until it's the way you like it.

Warning - this stuff is addictive. And even people who say they don't like 'spicy' stuff LOVE this.
Have seen people stand at the buffet table and lick the bowl. Seriously.
The mayo and canola oil are strictly used for binding the cheeses together. You can alter the quantities of both of those if you prefer one over the other. I don't recommend olive oil in this recipe as it's flavor can compete with the cheeses AND it just doesn't stick as well. They key is you've got to get the cheeses to stick together. I've tried it with very little oil/mayo and it just falls off the cracker. Not as user friendly.
This also lasts in the fridge for several days.
Yum!
I'm hungry!

Comments

Popular Posts